Sunday, October 23, 2011

The life of Asperger's (At least for me)

Readers,
I would like to share with you  what Asperger's Syndrome is to me in my life
First of all, Asperger's is a high functioning autism 
As the title says (At least for me) the reason behind that is because people with Asperger's won't share 100% of the same  symptoms, two people aren't alike with Asperger's.
But in every case, you'll have someone who wants to be social (me) and people with Asperger's who are a bit of anti-social.
As I go on just   something you should know, someone with Asperger's is called an Aspie for short, and Asperger's Syndrome is refer to as AS.


Asperger's interests:   people with AS may develop an intense, almost obsessive, interest in a few areas, such as sports schedules, weather, or maps... my "obsessive" interest is World War Two, I love learning about it, last year for my birthday I only asked for ww2 books and that what I got, I got a couple in my room

Problems with social skills: people with AS generally have difficulty interacting with one another and are awkward in social situations. They generally do not make friends easily, it's hard to keep eye contact.. I don't even know how to explain it.. when I was younger I could not look someone in the eyes, now being 18 years old, I'm better with it, I can keep eye contact for a short amount of time, it gets better ever so often.

Many aspie teens   are enjoying each other's company through Internet chatrooms, forums and message boards, I have joined a message board myself and I did enjoy talking to people who could relate to me, how I was feeling etc.
In the teenage years the person may become acutely aware of a lack genuine friendship and exclusion from the social activities of their peers. They may become depressed
Another concern is an assumption made by the person with Asperger's Syndrome that if they like someone, then the other person has the same degree of commitment. They may not recognize the other person's signals of a casual or platonic friendships

Loneliness and friendships: Aspie teens typically become more isolated socially during a period when they crave friendships and inclusion more than ever, Aspies often face rejection, isolation and bullying
I never been bullied before but.. rejection, yes same with isolation
as Aspies go through adolescence, most realize that they are missing out by not fitting in. It is at this point in their lives that they crave friendships, yet this unfulfilled desire on top of high school pressure to conform, constant rejection and harassment can often cause clinical depression in Aspie teens. They grow more isolated even as they crave more interaction with others. Young Aspie children often believe everyone in their kindergarten is the same and everyone is a friend. Aspie teens know better... yes sadly we do know better once we're teens and look around at others.

many Aspies are too anxious to initiate social contact... there for I'm always the quiet one in the room, it takes time for me to feel comfortable with talking to someone, but once I get comfortable we have a good time talking. 

For years I have told myself I'm a freak "I don't get invited to parties cause i'm a freak" "No one really talks to me cause i'm a freak" etc.. I gave myself labels growing up as a teen was so hard.. but it's getting better.. and I have myself a label now, along with others.. and it's "A Child of God" we are all children of our Heavenly Father, don't forget that!... I had
Having Asperger's is very hard at times, and I wish I can live without it.. but something I have learn is it's who I am.. and I can't change that, I just wish I could be better with interacting with others
This video has helped me a lot, I watched it at a fireside when I was in the back of the room sitting by myself













No comments:

Post a Comment