Saturday, November 26, 2011

Tri-Stake Get A Grip!- Priest/Laurel Conference


On the 20th of March 2010 there was a Priest/Laurel Conference at the Walla Walla stake center in Washington. they invited two other stakes which were Richland and Pasco, both from the Tri-Cities.

It took a hour or a hour and a half to get there,  we were put into groups, I was put into the red group along with my friend Spencer, who is also from my ward.
The whole day was amazing, but let dive into the testimony meeting and afterwards.

I was sitting with Spencer on the 3rd row, most of the people from our ward were sitting in the back, as the meeting started, I asked Spencer if he was planning on going up to share his testimony, he wasn't sure if he would.. he then asked me the same question,  I wasn't sure, because I might stutter.

As the meeting went on.. I couldn't sit still, I knew I needed to go up and share my testimony.. as I went to the first row to sit down to wait   for my turn,  waited as long as I could.. I let people who came behind me go up first.. but got to the point when I just needed to go up..
"My name is Michael, I stutter so bare with me"
My testimony will be about the Holy Ghost, how it bless our life's.. a couple of weeks ago, I had a feeling to talk to a friend of mine who I meant online, after talking for a bit I knew something wasn't right"
Tears began to form, I couldn't look at anyone.. "He said he want to kill himself"

 I looked down at the youth and saw someone crying in the front row, there were probably more crying, but I couldn't look pass the first row. the tears began to fall, down onto the stand where the  microphone was placed.  I pause for what felt like five long minutes. once I got a hold of myself I went on. Told everyone what I did to help, started talking with  him  asked why he wanted to do it.. why he wanted to end his life". the whole time I was up there. I was shacking.. felt I would fall down any minute.

"When he went to bed that night, I kept thinking of how to help him, I called  the suicidal hotline, they gave me some help, nothing big that I haven't already done.
Whenever he was on, we would talk... it has been two weeks since he said anything about killing himself"
I then closed in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Spencer was waiting for his turn to bare his testimony, I was sitting by myself for a couple of minutes.. I looked around...some people saw me and waved along with a smile..
Spencer got back.. he patted me on my back and said I did a good job.. I couldn't say anything expect "mhhm".. the last guy to get up and bare his testimony.. bore his on my testimony..  he said I was an example for him,I was overcome, he was crying, and testify about how I knew by the spirit I needed to talk to my friend.

When the meeting was over, I didn't want to face anyone from my ward.. so I stayed behind and hold the door open for the youths and leaders coming out on the right side.
Everyone.. stop and hugged and thanked me, tears were in their eyes.. a youth leader from Walla Walla.. I think because I have never seem him before the conference or after.
He gave me a hug, thanked me and said  "I really loved your testimony, I know if you keep listening to the spirit you can do wonders"

One person after another, a line was form, people waiting to hug and thank me..I was speechless I barely knew what to say, guys reach out their hands, we shaked, then they came in for a hug as well.
It was then time for dinner, I didn't really want to sit with the youth from my ward but a priest saw  me and called over for me to sit down, he like everyone else gave me a hug and thanked me.

I wasn't hungry so I left the room, went walking in the hallways, I couldn't go more then 3 feet when someone else stop me.. it was unreal I didn't know what to do so once everyone left I tried  getting away.. someone call out "Michael, Michael!" the voice was from Reid (The person who bore his testimony about mine)
He came to me, thanked me for being such an example to him.
I didn't understand.. how me just a priest from the Columbia Basin Ward.. I'm just Michael, how could I have ever done anything like this?
On the way back home, a fellow priest said "when you pause while you gave you're testimony.. you could feel the spirit filled the room" another said when he was in-line for dinner, he heard some people talking about me, about my testimony etc.

I told two friends what happened one I meant from efy in 2009, (Lived in town from me)  the other is someone I meant when I was a Teacher.. his not a youth but truly amazing friend.

something the friend from efy, she said in the message "I hope that you never think that you're "just Michael", because you're God's son, and that's not just anything. You really are special. I know that you are a choice spirit. I hope you will always know that"

My other friend said "You said that following: "I'm just Michael.. how could I have done anything like this?"  You are wrong.  You are wrong about what you think about yourself.  You are a powerful young man who can change people's lives.  I have told you this before, but it is hard to believe until you see it.  This story did not surprise me, because I already knew that you could do things that make a difference.  So learn about yourself from this, and stop holding yourself back.  You are Michael.  You are a powerful son of God, sent here when the world was in a scarey time to make a great difference.  You are more than just a face in a crowd, You have the essence of godliness in you, and that was shown to all this past weekend.  Don't forget it, and don't doubt it."

My friends are right.. and what I "saw" myself as.. this year I have learned so much that will help me in my life for the better
even if you don't think anyone would take your testimony to heart, share it. If you think your just somebody in the world, your wrong we are all children of our Father in Heaven, we all came to earth for a reason, we are all choice spirits
~Reid is now serving in the Brazil Fortaleza Mission
Elder Empey~










    







2 comments:

  1. Thank you Michael for sharing all these experiences. I always feel uplifted, inspired, and more confident after reading your posts. You truly have a gift my friend. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joshua, I really enjoy helping people, in any way I can

    ReplyDelete