Tuesday, May 19, 2015

How I Began Writing Poetry


Hey guys, well guess what?... I got my gym membership this last Thursday.

So now you'll finally be hearing about my weight loss on this blog and not just experiences I've been in and about Asperger's.  which is good, it's good to share my experiences from my life, to let people see how my life was for me in my eyes.

But I'm excited to be doing some posts about my progress with losing the weight,

Within three days of working out, I biked 40 miles, I'm going to keep track of every mile, it'd be good to keep track for progress and just for when I'm a speaker for the youth and so on.

Well, that about sums up for the working out, for now. so I'll share about me and poetry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I started writing back in 2010, I had barely turned 17, if you all remember, I was 16 when my breaking point had happened. I started to write, to get emotions out, they started out as long umm stories?

I'll give an example of one of my first stories.
It was titled "The Lonely Guy" It was about a guy in a class,  it started as someone noticing this guy was alone in the classroom, from this person point of view, seeing that he was alone, everyone else in the  class didn't want anything to do with him, and this person was debating weather or not  to go sit by him. the story then switches to the perspective of this lonely guy, and then switches back again to this person, the person was saying in his/her head that their friends don't talk to this guy, why should he/she start talking to this guy, what would my friends think? etc. at the end, the guy had some tears fell down as he got up, this person saw something fall down, so he/she went over to the chair and noticed there was a single tear drop on the chair, as lonely as the guy. It ended with that metaphor.

I then started to shorten them into free verse poetry (non-rhyming) I would write sad poetry and "loveish" type poems. I would share my poetry with some of my friends, and they all asked me how long have I been writing for?.. I would say "Uh.. that's my first poem" and they'd be amazed and say they would of guessed I have been writing for years. I guess it was just one of those hidden talents, huh?.  I now try to write in rhymes

I remember at a youth dance, I was sitting with a guy I knew and showed him one of my poems called "Broken Heart" haha, he loved it and shared it around with some of his friends, a girl was like "O my gosh, this is so sad, did this actually happened to you?" I said no, that I just wrote it. ha..

My poems were all sad ones, they were never happy, they were all pretty dark and deep.
At one point two of my friends had brought it up, and asked if I could try maybe writing more happier poems, that was when I wrote the "lovey dovely" poems hah... I had a couple of online friends who shared those poems with their girlfriends. haha..

I'll show you guys one of my sad poems at the end of this post.

I then kinda stopped writing altogether, I thought my poems suck, I was hard on myself with my writing, I didn't really understood how people could possible like my poems.
I was on and off with writing, in 2011 I wrote my first "churchy" poem about the Garden of Gethsemane. I had asked Sister Davidson if I could share that poem in class, somebody needed to see me during the class, so by the time I got back, the poem had already been given. I didn't really saw what everyone thought of it.

A month or so ago, I was getting ready to send a good friend of mine who's on her mission a letter. I mentioned the poem and she said she would love it if I could send a copy of that as well, she said she remembered when it was shared in class and that "It was awesome :)"

A week after it was shared in class, I went to EFY, one of the days I shared it and after I was done, I looked around my company and a lot of them were speechless and none of them (The ones I did saw) had dried eyes. hahah.... I also shared some of my lovely dovely poems to some of the girls in my group and one said "chills ran down her spine" because they were so good :p

During the fireside on Thursday night at efy, after the musical program which I was apart of, I gave the poem to my friend who was sitting next to me, he asked if he could pass it around the choir people, I said yes and it went around in a full circle, once it got back to me, the guy sitting on my right asked if I wrote it, he said it was really good, and thanked me for writing it.

Since then I have started to write some more church base poetry. I have been in a talent show at a YSA activity last year May 31st (It was also my birthday, it was a fun day)

I don't write anymore sad poetry, mostly church poems now, in the past I have also written two poems about sidewalk chalk and the sunset, the sunset poem is actually a reversed poem, when you read it normal, then once your at the bottom, you re-read it from bottom back to the top.

writing is a great gift I'm thankful for.

Here's the poem titled "The Eyes"

Look at my smile
You'll see a shining youth
You'll see a young man
You'll see everything good

Listen to my laugh
You'll hear how calm it sounds
The laugh will bring you joy
Warm your hearts

Turn your head upon my eyes
Don't you see the pain?
Notice how I hide
By my smile and laugh

For the sorrow
Do I keep
Locked inside
Hurt do I feel

By the rejection
Being judge
Having the shameful,
label

Wishing upon a brighten star
Father, change me please
For I am going insane
With the person I became

My eyes, no tears shell pass
There isn't any.... not anymore
For the pain, over the years
Dried them up

My eyes, shining into yours
For hope of welcome, no more rejection
For I don't know, what I'll do
If rejection comes

Hide myself upon this night
In the woods do I walk
The deathly hallows
Do they scream..
Screaming for me

I must never give in
No matter how they yell
I'm standing here
On the path to the hallows

Dear God, take me away
Give me no more rejections
But give me welcome
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                               Endure to the end, stay strong in the Gospel and you won't regret it



No comments:

Post a Comment