Sunday, March 11, 2012

Service- the different person.

Today in Sunday school the lesson was on service, not the kind like service projects but, be-friending people, cheering people up, and so on.

Brother Davidson asked us "Is it hard, to be friends with people in school, who are 'different' and other people aren't friends with them because of it?"

The class said it is hard, because their friends might dis-friend them for hanging out with someone who is different and doesn't have many friend, and if you're popular it's harder cause you might get un-popular a little if you hang out with the different person.

I was thinking in the class, how I'm the different person, now.. don't get me wrong I have friends now, but I still see myself as someone who is different.
And I do know what it feels like to be the outcast, the person people don't get to know
But with my amazing friends, it's so much better

I want you all, my readers to think of people you see, from school, work and so on, see if their lonely, the outcast, the different person.

My teacher shared a story I won't be able to explain it as well as he did but I hope you understand it.

He was in high school and this one girl walked with a limp, no one would help her to class, they didn't do anything for this girl because she was considered "different", from walking her to class  he would get to his own class late, his teacher was a tough one and told him  that he'll get low grades for showing up late and he told him to stop walking the girl to class, that his grades would be lower because he'll getting in class late.
Joe my Sunday School teacher said "No one else will help her to class" and he continued walking her to class, he studied hard in his own class and got a good grade, an A I believe.
This girl and my teacher are still close friends to this day, he was the one that helped her when no one else would.
She is now a teacher in a High school where my teacher's son goes to, once she learned that he was the son of Joe Davidson she had him call his dad and they talked a little, she has never forgot how he had helped her in high school.

I can say that his oldest son, Hunter who is now serving a mission in Brazil was liked his dad and saw that I was 'different' and he befriended me, we are really good friends to this day, he know I'll be able to lose the weight to go on my own mission.
I want you all to look around you, look for someone who's alone and try to befriend them, it won't just do them good, but it'll do you good as well when you make a bond with that person and be the best of friends.

Endure to the end, stay strong in the Gospel and you won't regert it

2 comments:

  1. Thank you ver much for sharing this! I know it's hard sometimes to put our fears of being rejected to help someone that might be already feeling that way. Peer pressure is a horrible thing and every time i think of it it makes me want to break that cycle even more. We must consider that having a nice gesture with someone can save them from death.
    I will do my best to try and befriend someone who is different from me, what a nice exercise to put in practice today.
    Again thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, I love helping people out, try to find that "different" one

    ReplyDelete